A strategic manager with over 20 years experience in the oil industry leading projects and teams through organizational change to achieve corporate goals, including: Accepting responsibility, delegating authority and working with people from all areas. Developing strong customer and employee relations, while recovering consistent recognition for excellent interpersonal skills. Using analytical skills to identify opportunities and developing strategies to effect change. Building and maintaining strong working relationships with internal and external clients to proactively identify customer needs and implement changes for improvement.
B.S., Chemistry, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
Computer Information Systems, Anchorage Community College, Anchorage, AK
A strategic Manager with over 20 years experience in the oil industry leading projects and teams through organizational change to achieve corporate goals, ® Accepting responsibility, delegating authority and working with people from all areas.
- Developing strong customer and employee relations, while receiving consistent recognition for excellent interpersonal skills.
- Using analytical skills to identify opportunities and developing strategies to effect change.
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with internal and external clients to proactively identify customer needs and implement changes for improvement.
ARCO Alaska, Inc. / BP Alaska, Anchorage, AK 1983 to Apr 2002
- Sr. Operations Integrity Advisor (BP) (2001-2002)
- Field Systems Integration Manager (BP)(2000-2001)
- Prudhoe Field Support Superintendent & ARCO/BP Integration Team (1999-2000)
- Materials & Services Support Supervisor (1995-1996)
- Logistics Director (1993-1995)
- Operations Support Supervisor – Prudhoe Materials (1989-1993)
- Systems Analyst (1987-1989)
- Document Control Coordinator / Programmer / Systems Analyst (1983-1987)
Management / Leadership:
- Managed support services, as Field Support Superintendent, for the ARCO Prudhoe Bay Oilfield Operations including: camps; security; materials; heavy equipment; road, pad and general maintenance. Worked with five supervisors, 50 company employees and over 500 contractors in supplying vital support services required to keep the operation running smoothly.
- Effectively administered $50MM in multi-disciplinary support service contracts, which resulted in significant annual cost reductions.
- Initiated a material support strategy for Prudhoe Bay field clients and overcame resistance to changes following a reduction in force (RIF) of 14 field-wide Maintenance Support Technicians.
- Developed an effective working relationship with the BPX Overhaul Crew in the early 90s to resolve concerns involving sharing inventory information between companies electronically. This effort resulted in saving millions by reducing each company’s inventories.
- Oversaw daily activities of Prudhoe Material Operations Support group, during Prudhoe’s heaviest annual maintenance shutdown schedule, which was accomplished successfully and with minimal impact.
- Effectively integrated four subgroups into a Materials and Services Support Team for ARCO Purchasing and Contract groups.
- Managed up to 15 ARCO Alaska transportation services contracts.
- Supervised ten materials, purchasing and inventory personnel at Prudhoe Bay. Maintained morale and productivity during two RIF’s while increasing group’s responsibilities.
- Supervised five positions performing drafting support, construction drawing distribution and as-built drawings for the ARCO Projects Central Services Department.
- Coordinated and directed the work of four experienced Programmers / Analysts during the creation and development of a Construction Material Control System (CMCS) for the ARCO Projects Group. The system was envisioned to be used for construction projects worldwide.
SPECIAL PROJECTS / ASSIGNMENTS:
- As a member of the Operations Integrity Team, supported Consultants and internal Technicians to identify internal integrity issues, which involved developing databases, tracking concerns, and resolving identified issues.
- Chosen to be part of a team to develop a “Smart Buy” program in the ARCO Plano Texas facility for six months involving the consolidation of ARCO’s worldwide purchases to save hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Instrumental in the shutdown and sale of ARCO’s Anchorage Freight Terminal (AFT) and outsourcing of consolidation functions previously performed by ARCO, which resulted in $2MM from sale of AFT and annual budget savings of $1.7MM.
- Selected as a member of the ARCO Materials and Purchasing System (AMPS) Team, which implemented a new materials and purchasing system, while delivering project on time and within budget.
- Due to extensive training and experience in the Logistics Section and demonstrated ability to work in the Planning Section, served on both ARCO’s and BP’s Incident Response Teams.
- In preparation for responding to a spill event, trained as a liaison/ point of contact to remote village communities as a member of the Alaska Community Response team for ARCO Marine.
- Organizational Change / Strategic Planning:
- Selected by Executive Management to be part of the BP-ARCO 15 member Business Integration Team that developed with Department
- Managers the integration plan for two companies with 2500 employees. Developed organization charts, identified efficiencies and cost savings, and planned sharing of support services across multiple assets.
- Selected by Sr. Management to define and identify process and organization changes that would result in a $100MM savings resulting from the merger of the ARCO/BP organization. Researched and worked with Department Managers over three months to identify savings of $25MM in capital expenses and $75MM in expense budgets.
- Helped design and develop training modules for a Materials and Purchasing System (AMPS) software program. Successfully installed
- AMPS, trained over 270 people across all organizational levels, which ultimately led to major changes in business practices.
- Developed and recommended Prudhoe Bay organizational changes for the 1991 Materials reorganization and advised management of sensitivities.
- Planned and coordinated space requirements for 300 temporary offices and furniture utilizing innovative procurement strategies at the lowest possible cost.
- Negotiation Skills & Advanced Negotiation Skills… Basic Facilitation
- Interpersonal Communications and Influence Management
- Leadership in a World of Change
- Lessons in Leadership – 3 Sessions (National symposiums by business experts including Tom Peters, Ken Blanchard, Stephen Covey, and Peter Senge.)
- Passed Delivering Products and Services Module, toward becoming Certified in Integrated Resource Management (CIRM) by APICS (American Production and Inventory Control Society)
- Incident Response Training