30+ years in Piping, Plant Layout, Mechanical Design, Construction and Field Engineering. 23 Years using AutoCAD + Rebis AutoPlant.
2/05 to Present: Senior AutoCAD 3D designer, ASRC Energy Services, Anchorage, Alaska
- Responsible for the overall site plan for ENI drill site. Setup folder structure to make sharing of design data between disciplines very easy. Created structural composite model to replace 4 separate modules saving well over 100 man-hours of work. Did CAD administrator duties setting up all of the AutoCAD operators plus solved all the various problems. Wrote many time saving programs with one special one for working with BP title blocks that is a real time saver. Wrote VB.NET programs that reduced hours of work to less than 5 minutes for incredible time savings. Created tool palettes and other custom utilities for different disciplines.
6/02 to 1/05: 3D Design Services, LLC 4100 Defiance Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99504
- Started my own AutoCAD 3D design company with one major client, Crowley of Alaska. I converted all of the 2D cad drawings for the CATCO all terrain vehicle into a 3D model to be used for structural analysis and the design of new and improved vehicles. Unfortunately this did not get funded.
7/99 to 12/02: Senior Mechanical Piping Designer Phoenix Alaska Technology, Anchorage, Alaska
- Worked exclusively in AutoCAD 3D and 3D Studio MAX animations. Doing the conceptual and final design for a new concept drilling rig for BP/AMOCO. I made ALL of the drawings for this new concept drilling rig. It is light, modular and will be able to travel across the North Slope tundra without the need for ice roads. I did all the animation’s necessary to secure the contract. Animation included flying around the drill rig while working showing automated pipe handling, pipe delivery boom, top drive and iron roughneck working together in real time. Many people have told me the animation is very impressive! I am also the network administrator and handle a lot of the regular simple network problems.
11/98 to 4/99: Senior Piping Designer AutoCAD 3D for APEL, Anchorage, AK
- Drew all the structural steel and 95% of the equipment, all in 3D, for a new concept mobile drill rig. Developed 3D drawing for complete drill site on north slope. Drawing was utilized for planning, engineering, environmental permits and sharing of information with other engineering members of the alliance construction team.
3/98 to 11/98: Senior Piping Designer at Tosco Refining Co. Bayway Refinery, Linden, NJ
- Set up catalogs and create piping specs using new Rebis AP97 program. Developed method of creating specs using MS Access that is quicker and easier than using Rebis Spec Generator. Trained piping designers in 3D and AutoPlant on a medium size expansion project.
8/97 to 10/97 and 8/96 to 11/96: Senior Piping Designer at Howe-Baker,Tyler Texas
- Design piping for refinery using Rebis AutoPlant. Created menu customization and programs to assist other designers. Created a simplified P&ID drawing program to suit a specific requirement they had.
4/97 to 8/97: Senior AutoPlant Piping Designer at Lockwood Greene, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Trained designers to use AutoPlant Piping and be more productive when using it. Drew all of the equipment in 3D to insert into equipment model. Routed utility piping systems for food processing plant.
11/96 to 4/97: Senior AutoPlant Piping Designer @ Raytheon, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Helped train designers using AutoPlant in 3D Piping Design. Designed pipe and equipment for two tank farm modifications. Developed great new method for creating plan and section drawings. Wrote program for annotating pipe racks that saved many hours. Trained their AutoCAD people to design in 3D.
5/96 to 8/96: AutoCAD Senior Piping Designer using ProPipe 3D @ Molten Metal Tech., Oak Ridge, TN
- Design pipe and equipment in 3D for hazardous material waste reduction plant. Mostly small bore pipe. Customized AutoCAD to help my coworkers easily manage xref’s and layers saving a lot of hours.
9/95 to 4/96: AutoCAD Senior Piping Designer using Rebis AutoPLANT Process Systems, Inc. 1790 Kirby Parkway Suite 300 Memphis, TN 38138
- Designed ALL the piping for medium size expansion to chemical plant. Drew 100+ 3D pieces of equipment in only 4 weeks.
5/95 to 9/95: AutoCAD Senior Piping Designer using Rebis AutoPLANT @ Beloit Eng. Jacksonville, FL
- Piping design for $850M Pulp and Paper plant to be built in Indonesia. Wrote programs to annotate pipe and add flow arrows that were always visible. Developed method of breaking down huge 3D models into small manageable models.
10/94 to 5/95: AutoCAD Senior Piping Designer using EDA AutoPLANT Marinette Marine Corporation, Marinette, Wisconsin 54143
- Design various piping systems for 175′ Coast Guard boat. Developed method of checking interference’s that reduced checking time from several hours to usually less than one hour. Checking method was adapted to the design process which easily increased productivity 10% to 20%.
3/94 to 10/94: AutoCAD Senior Piping Designer AutoPLANT. TDC Mechanical, Rio Rancho, New Mexico, 87114
- Design piping systems for Intel Pentium chip manufacturing facility using EDA AutoPLANT Designer and Isometric programs. Extensively customized menu and wrote AutoLISP programs making AutoPLANT easier to use. Also provided tech support and training on both AutoCAD and AutoPLANT.
1/87 to 3/94: AutoCAD Senior Piping and Mechanical Designer. Hoechst-Celanese Corporation, PO Box 1000 Narrows, Virginia 24124
- Design & layout piping, HVAC & structural steel for plant improvements.
1984 to 1987: Field Engineer, Project Coordinator and Mechanical Designer (direct employment). Conveyor Corporation of America, PO Box 646, Crowley, Texas 76036
- Design and layout conveyor components when in engineering home office.
1982 to 1984: Piping Design, Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant, Glenrose, Texas
- Systems engineer responsible for CVCS and waste process systems.
1981 to 1982: Mechanical Inspector, Watts Bar Nuclear Power Plant, Spring City, TN
- Inspect work performed by various craft.
1963 to 1981: Drafter and Designer
- Mechanical and Piping @ various companies. Started with Cincinnati Milling Machine drafting apprenticeship program. Followed this with contract engineering doing anything to gain experience. Worked twice at Goodyear doing conveyors and machine design. One year at GE jet engine plant. One year doing field surveys for sanitary sewers and water lines. Litton Unit Handling Systems layout and design small complete conveyor systems. Six month nuclear piping. Dow Chemical, Freeport, Tx 2 years and BASF Wyandotte Corp 5 years doing primarily piping and some mechanical design work. A.E. Staley Mfg. Co. one year piping and mechanical design.