Computer Certificates and Degree– University of Alaska Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna College
Extension, May, 2006
Ph.D. in English – University of Oregon, March, 1994
M.A. in English – University of Oregon, August 1988
B. Music in Performance – University of Alaska Anchorage. Minors: Journalism and English, May,
A.A. in Social Science – Anchorage Community College, December, 1983
• Associate of Applied Science, Computer Information and Office Systems (Emphasis in Desktop Publishing and Graphics and Office Technology)
• Microsoft Office Specialist Certificate
• Office Technology Certificate
• Desktop Publishing and Graphics Certificate Courses included: Microsoft Word, Advanced Word, Advanced MOUS Topics in Word, Excel, Advanced Excel, Desktop Publishing, Advanced Desktop Publishing, PowerPoint, Proofreading, WordPerfect, Advanced WordPerfect, Internet Authoring and Design, Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat, PageMaker, InDesign, Photoshop, and many more.
WRITING AND EDITING WORK EXPERIENCE
1/10-10/11 -Technical Editor and Document Designer, ASRC
Edited proposals and reports for various ASRC companies during 2010 and 2011. For ASRC Energy Services (AES-RTS), handled all editing, formatting, document database reorganization and record keeping, and some proposal editing and production for 4 months as a contractor. While there, I edited the editorial style guide, designed templates, and renamed and organized electronic files.
11/10-present -Technical Editor and Document Formatter, Lynden Air Cargo
Edit and format technical manuals and reports for this airline located in Anchorage, Alaska.
12/06-present – Technical Editor and Document Designer, BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.
Edited and formatted hundreds of reports of varying lengths (most averaging about 90 pages) in Microsoft Word, as well as dozens of Microsoft Word and Excel forms. Editing involved editing for company style; changing spelling from British English to American English; correcting grammar, punctuation, and organization errors; suggesting revisions to the authors; and ensuring consistency among the various documents. This was a full-time job in 2007, but I worked at home as a contractor and hired, trained, and supervised a subcontracting staff of typists, formatters, and editors who are available to me on an as-needed basis. Kept in constant e-mail and phone contact with my in-house supervisor and provided her with weekly status reports.
1/94-present – Technical Editor and Marketing, Proposal, and Business Writer, Wordsworth LLC
As managing owner of Wordsworth, duties include writer, editor, proposal editor and writer, technical editor, and marketing writer. Clients have included Alaska Communications, BPXA, ASRC, KAE Engineering, Becker Underwood, Yulista, Ace Environmental, ASTS, BRG Engineering, Bliss Construction, Terra Surveys, Hoefler Consulting, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, Bristol Environmental, MWH Americans, Inc., QAP, Jacobs, EMC, EPRI, EMCON Alaska, Woodward-Clyde, LCMF, CH2M Hill, URS, Alaska Business Monthly, Cox Communications, UAA, Kuskokwim Architects and Engineers, and many more. In-house positions included Technical Editor and Forms Designer for ENSR Alaska, Minerals Management Service, and ASRC. For BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. (from 12/06 to 12/15), edited and formatted hundreds of reports of varying lengths (most averaging about 90 pages) in Microsoft Word, as well as dozens of Microsoft Word and Excel forms. This was a full-time job in 2007 and 2008, but I worked at home as a contractor and hired, trained, and supervised a subcontracting staff of typists, formatters. • Edited, wrote, or rewrote dozens of successful proposals for environmental and engineering firms, including proposals for (often multimillion-dollar) contracts awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration, the State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, and the Municipality of Anchorage.
5/04-present -Primary Owner and Forms Designer, Forms in Word
Design, create, edit, and sell thousands of government (mostly federal) forms in Microsoft Word (which look just like the government’s PDFs), as well as numerous forms in Excel. Clients include federal and state agency personnel as well as the public. Designed, wrote, and update Web site: www.formsinword.com and handle all record keeping. Business has grown and continues to grow; currently selling between 450 and 650 forms per month through our Web site.
12/01-4/03 – Technical Editor and Document Designer, ENSR Alaska (Anchorage)
Handled editing and document processing and formatting of all documents using Microsoft Word and Excel for this environmental firm. Designed newsletters and advertisements using PageMaker. During the first 3 months, handled over 150 documents, many with major editing and document formatting needs. Set up production schedules and document tracking system sheets. Set up publications file on server containing various company logos and designed templates in Word and PageMaker. Designed and printed CD labels and covers and created CDs for delivery to the clients. Arranged color-printing services for special projects and created PDF files. Trained others on document formatting and proofreading topics, both individually and in a classroom situation. Edited and formatted numerous proposals and created marketing materials.
12/01-12/05 -Marketing and Technical Writer, Terra Surveys, LLC (Palmer, AK)
As an on-call contractor, wrote and designed all marketing materials, including Statement of Qualifications, brochures, Web site text,resumes, and project descriptions. Rewrote and edited 244-255 forms and other proposals. Wrote company style guide. CreatedPublications folder and all subfolders on server and organized hundreds of documents, photographs, logos, and other graphics into an easily retrievable file system. Created a document review process.
9/85-present -Newsletter Designer and Writer, Wordsworth
Using PageMaker and Microsoft Word and Publisher, have designed and/or written newsletters for such clients as Alaska Pet News (also served as publisher), Landscape Supply, Chugiak Children’s Services, the Alaska State Fair, ENSR Alaska, CRW Engineering, the University of Oregon Alumni Association, the Musk Ox Cooperative, the Cottage Grove Humane Society, and STOP the Overpopulation of Pets. Also designed and edited many U.S. military newsletters, including Restoration Advisory Board newsletters, as a subcontractor for various clients.
7/02-11/02 – Technical Editor Minerals Management Service (Anchorage, AK)
Edited a 1,500-page Environmental Impact Statement for the Mineral Management Service. Editing tasks involved collecting document files from various writers and editing them for mechanics, style, plain English, and logic. Also handled all document formatting tasks, saving the agency a great deal of money in having to hire someone to format the document. Short-term contract position.
5/03-present -Web Site Writer and Designer, Wordsworth
Sample Web sites designed, written, and edited by Wordsworth include Alaska Irish Music Festival, Kikiktagruk Inupiat Corporation, Transformations Design, STOP the Overpopulation of Pets, Inc., Alaska Medical Clinics, LLC, Wordsworth Writing, Editing, and Researching Services; and Weight Loss Alaska.
1/00-12/01 – Copy Editor and Writer, Alaska Newspapers (Anchorage, AK)
Writer for the Oil and Gas Reporter and special publications, Alaska Journal of Commerce. Previous work included copy editor, writer, and columnist for Business News Alaska. Copy editor and writer for Petroleum News Alaska. Wrote special ARCO history for Petroleum News Alaska. For the summer of 2000, online copy editor for the Kodiak Daily Mirror newspaper. Edited all reporters’ stories for AP style, grammar, and punctuation, and taught them how to improve their stories. Familiar with many styles: AP, Chicago, MLA, APA, and in-house styles.
11/94-1/96 – Report Writer, Oregon School Study Council
Researched, conducted interviews, and wrote reports on educational topics. Also wrote book chapters, articles, and summaries for ERIC Clearinghouse on Educational Management. Published reports: School-Based Management: Rationale and Implementation Guidelines, Priority on Learning: How School Districts Are Concentrating Their Scarce Resources on Academics, and Quality Work Teams. Published two chapters in School Leadership as well. Many of the shorter documents are available online.
1/93-5/94 – Associate Editor, CPM Magazine
Edited and wrote copy, conducted interviews, planned articles, researched, and contributed design suggestions for this group of agricultural magazines. Hired freelancers, set up editorial and photo libraries. Chief editor of Mexican and Canadian editions. Wrote the CPM Editorial Department Style Guide and the Safety Duck Training Manual.
5/91-11/93 – Editorial Assistant, Aster Publishing
Proofread scientific and technical articles for many magazines, including BioPharm, GPS World, GIS, CADalyst, Spectroscopy, Managed Health Care News, Pharmaceutical Technology, and Pharmaceutical Executive. Wrote style and proofreading manual for all magazines.
1982-1994 – Owner, Wordsworth Writing Services
Wrote and designed articles, brochures, newsletters, and reports for magazines, newspapers, businesses, and organizations. Edited and evaluated novels, articles, and manuals for companies and individuals. Wrote and designed public relations materials.
ENGLISH TEACHING EXPERIENCE
9/86 – 2/2005 – College English Instructor, Various Colleges
Taught composition, technical writing, business communications, computers and writing, literature, and other courses Matanuska-Susitna College, University of Alaska Anchorage, Green River Community College, Lane Community College, Umpqua Community College, and the University of Oregon.
10/85-3/89 – Academic Tutor, Educational Support Program, University of Oregon
Tutored college athletes in writing, literature, American studies, history, physics, journalism, sociology, speech, and general study skills. Created and ran the writing tutoring laboratory.
ADDITIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
6/00-present – Executive Director, STOP the Overpopulation of Pets, Inc.
Founded nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization, including filling out all federal, state, and borough paperwork. Wrote grant applications, wrote all marketing and educational materials, distributed spay/neuter applications. Sent out 1,050 spay/neuter vouchers to target area of Mat-Su Borough residents, as well as expanded statewide, within 11 months; these vouchers are worth over $30,000. Serve as volunteer director and president; work includes organizing board meetings, supervising other volunteers, making educational presentations, keeping Excel tables of all financial information, writing annual reports, paying all bills, handling and filing all paperwork, and additional record keeping. Designed and wrote Web site and researched and wrote annual reports, proposals, and newsletters.
ADDITIONAL WRITING CREDITS
Magazines and Newspapers (Writer or Editor):
• Writer, Alaska Journal of Commerce Special Publications and Oil and Gas Reporter (2001-2002).
• Writer and Copy Editor, Business News Alaska (2000-2001).
• Writer, Alaska Business Monthly (1994-2000).
• Copy Editor and Writer, Petroleum News Alaska (2000-2001).
• Copy Editor, Kodiak Daily Mirror (newspaper) (2000).
• Writer, Alaska Parenting News (1994-95).
• Writer, Special Pet Sections, The Frontiersman (newspaper) (2001 and 2002).
• Writer, Designer, and Publisher, Alaska Pet News (1998-2003).
• Associate Editor, CPM Magazine (six monthly issues plus 26 newsletters) (1993-1994).
• Proofreader, GIS, GPS World, BioPharm, Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmaceutical Executive, Managed Health Care News, and CADalyst magazines (1991-1993).
Books and Reports:
• Chapter in Chicken Soup for the Dog and Cat Lovers Soul, published December 1999.
• Two chapters in School Leadership: Handbook for Excellence, 3rd Edition, published by ERIC Clearinghouse on Educational Management.
• School-Based Management: Rationale and Implementation Guidelines published by Oregon School Study Council (OSSC).
• Priority on Learning: How School Districts Are Concentrating Their Scarce Resources on Academics, OSSC.
• Quality Work Teams, OSSC.
• EMCON Alaska’s Statement of Qualifications (December 1994).
• Aster Publishing’s Manual for Technical Proofreaders.
• CPM Magazine’s Editorial Department Style and Proofreading Guide.
• Montgomery Watson’s Document Style Guide.
• Terra Surveys, LLC’s Report Writing and Style Guide.
• Children’s Realistic Animal Fiction under consideration.
• Edited Wesley Earl Dunkle: Alaska’s Flying Miner (Mining the American West) by Charles Caldwell Hawley, which was published in 2003 by the University Press of Colorado
• Edited hundreds of reports and other documents for various companies.
• Literature Review: TNT, RDX, and Heavy Metals Disposition in Soils and Plants, April 2001. Prepared for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory for a client. Researched, wrote, and designed this 150-page document.
• Solar Panel Remediation System: Operations And Maintenance Manual, June 2001. Prepared for National Park Service for a client. Researched, wrote, and designed.
• Final Underground Storage Tank And Pipeline Monitoring Report, King Salmon Airport, King Salmon, Alaska, April 2001, prepared for United States Air Force for a client. Rewrote and completely redesigned and added text and tables.
• Edited, wrote, or rewrote dozens of successful proposals for environmental and engineering firms, including proposals for (often multimillion-dollar) contracts awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration, the State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, and the Municipality of Anchorage.
• In 2002 and 2003, wrote and co-wrote grant proposals for STOP the Overpopulation of Pets, a nonprofit organization devoted to paying full cost for spaying and neutering of dogs and cats. Over $35,000 in grants were awarded to this then new organization.
• Have edited and written numerous SF254/255 and SF330 proposals.
• Designed SF330 Form in Word and sold through my own Web site (www.wordsworthwriting.net) to hundreds of architectural and engineering clients all over the United States.
• Designed and sold numerous government forms in Word through www.formsinword.com.
• Have written proposals and employee manuals for medical clinics.