Ray has a broad range of experience in support of the Alaska oil industry. He has worked closely with Operations, Maintenance, Wells, Drilling and Reservoir groups. He has experience in Optimization, coordinating the interaction of the various facets of Slope operations. He has production engineering and rig workover experience, has managed a water and gas flood, written rig and non-rig wellwork procedures, analyzed production, injection and cost data, and supported drilling and rig workover programs. He has worked with production engineers, reservoir engineers, drilling engineers, and geologists. He is able to adapt quickly to new settings and pick up new skills.
BS, Petroleum Engineering, University of Texas at Austin BA,
Management Engineering, Claremont McKenna College
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Windows NT 4.0
2014-2015 – Petrotechnical Resources of Alaska / ConocoPhillips Alaska
- Rig Workover Engineer, Kuparuk River Unit. Designed rig workover programs, including decompletion, completion design, casing repair and wellhead upgrades. Wrote rig and non-rig workover procedures, provided town engineering support to rig, co-ordinated with Asset and Development Engineers to perform Fron-End Loading (FEL), wrote cost estimates, coordinated long-lead materials with vendors and procurement, reviewed and approved invoices. Attained Well Control certification.
2005-2013 – Petrotechnical Resources of Alaska / BP
- Wells Optimization Engineer, Prudhoe Bay WOA (Western Operating Area). Coordinated well and pad centered activities of Operations, Production Control Center, Wells Group and office Pad Engineers. Maximized oil production to the current or planned constraints in the system. Managed well flowline and common flowline velocities to minimize corrosion and erosion. Requested corrosion inspections based on well activities.
- Field Optimization Engineer, responsible for Prudhoe Bay Production Inspection Maintenance Plan, coordinated activities of Operations, Inspections, Maintenance groups. Responsible for maximizing oil production, including maintaining minimum flow rates necessary to keep facilities online during pipeline prorations or extensive maintenance periods. Facilitated shutdown and start-up activities that involved multiple facilities.
- Petroleum Engineer for Eileen West End (EWE) Ivishak wells. Manage the well set, including optimizing the use of gas lift with regard to EWE LDF velocity limits. Coordinated a weekly Simultaneous Operations (SimOps) meeting focused on the busy West End, with representatives from Wells, Well Tie-Ins, Operations, Drilling, Optimization and town; primary purpose to assure safe and efficient operations, with a secondary purpose of communicating Resource priorities to influence the planning.
- Petroleum engineer for Aurora and Borealis fields, Kuparuk formations in the Prudhoe Bay Unit. Primary focus was working with Operations to get competitive Borealis wells online, in the complex operating environment at GC2. Supported Drilling for new wells and sidetracks and rig workovers. Wrote wellwork procedures. Managed WAG swap scheduling and wellwork.
- Petroleum Engineer for Badami. Evaluated and implemented 2005 Badami field restart. Reviewed wellbore and reservoir history, wrote wellwork procedures. Worked very closely with Facilities / Operations for the small, remote field. Coordinated with Wells group and Operations for remote location well operations. Contributed to spill contingency, permitting and facilities issues.
2004 SAIC Anchorage, Alaska
- Provide engineering services to Alyeska Pipeline Service Company on several projects.
2004 – ASRC Energy Services / BP
- Wrote slickline and e-line wellwork procedures for BP Exploration Wells group, working in conjuction with pad engineers.
2001-2003 – Sperry-Sun Drilling Services
- Log Analyst, conducting post-processing of open-hole LWD logging, including depth shifting and QC.
1995-1999 – NANA Corporate Services / BP
- Petro-Technical Assistant, contracted to BP Exploration, Prudhoe Bay Unit Resource Management. Gathered, filtered, analyzed, charted, and mapped diverse oilfield data. Created mini-logs and cross-sections using XPI, VIP and Geology. Generated surface and structure maps using MapInfo and Zmap. Generated materials for pad reviews and the annual state surveillance report.
- Stepped up to cover pad engineer duties for vacation relief, including daily well monitoring, monthly fluid allocations, picking perfs and wellwork oversight.
- Developed cycle well schedule and identified swing wells at Eileen West End.
1990-1995 – Petredat, Anchorage and North Slope, Alaska
- Field Engineer, prepared and operated downhole pressure/temperature gauges on North Slope. Coordinated with company engineers to design appropriate programs. Worked in field with Slickline and Coiled Tubing crews. Acted as sole company representative in the field, across the North Slope.